Sunday, January 27, 2013

A change can do some good.

Ugh. Change. I'm a creature of habit. Change really messes with me. However, we are in the beginning stages of making a big change for our family. 

Since Christmas, we have been tossing around the idea of relocating to another town. A 20-30 minute move north of where we are now, would cut 250 miles off my husband's commute in a week (he drives 60 miles one way). Not only the miles, but the time we'd be able to spend as a family are priceless. Plus, the town we are looking at has lower taxes, a great school, friends already established, and a cheaper housing market. 

I have been blessed to stay home with my kiddos the past year and I have loved almost every day :) However, there are days I'd be okay with spending time with some adults and having a real conversation versus talking in the simplest sentence ever. I love being a mom. I love seeing my kiddos grow up, change, advance and learn new things. While they are still little, I want to spend most of my time with them, but there are times it's also necessary to make some extra money. I love making things (see Brandie's Basket) but since I'm not a sweat shop, and handmade items take a while to make, I really can't make much money. Boo. 

With this move, we also talk heavily about our financial situation. With Shannon's pay we could ALMOST be pre-qualified for the loan we would need, however, just a little extra would put a nice cushion in our account and definitely put us in a good standing for a loan. That being said ....... 

A few months ago I applied at Jo-Ann's for the holidays. I don't know how much money I would have actually made... but it just didn't feel right. I had that uneasy feeling in my gut about the situation. So the idea went under the rug for a while. Enter the potential move --- the idea made me want to vomit. I really didn't want to try to juggle multiple schedules again. It's exhausting. And, I didn't want to be in a situation where we would have to pay for childcare on a weekly basis. That defeats the purpose of me working if we are paying someone to keep our kids. 

We love local businesses, and prefer to support local businesses when possible. Shannon was shopping in a small, local, family owned grocery store and noticed they had some applications floating around. At the time they weren't hiring, but would probably be within the next few weeks or months. Why not? He snagged one, I filled it out, dropped it off and just waited. I didn't have to wait long. I had an interview, they had another interview to conduct, and I would know by the following day. I was so distracted with packing for vacation that the waiting wasn't terrible. I got the job in the cafe of a small business!!! (You local folks can probably guess where you can find me a couple hours a week.) So many blessings have come from this --- 1. I didn't feel nauseated at the thought. 2. They are willing and able to work around Audrey's preschool schedule. 3. It's actually decent pay! 4. I like coffee and I'm excited to learn how to make different varieties. 5. I like the dress code - their polo shirt, apron and hat paired with jeans and sneakers :)

I start Monday, tomorrow, morning. I'm getting excited! We will probably put our home on the market within the week or so, and start looking at new places soon. Lots of change, but it all feels right. If I am lacking in blog updates - I apologize. But, let's see --- I have some painting to accomplish, boxes to pack, things to clean up, crafts to make, a part-time job to go to, kiddos to take care of, etc., etc., etc. However, after all is done, there will be updates. Promise. I need a place to expel my word vomit :)

No comments:

Post a Comment