Sunday, April 17, 2011

Doubt

Psalm 10:17 (Contemporary English Version)

You listen to the longings of those who suffer. You offer them hope, and you pay attention to their cries for help.

For all of you folks who were at Life House East (LHE) today... you know what was said in the service. We debated about staying home today. I am so glad we rushed around and decided to go to church. It was one of those days I was glad I didn't have a lot of time to get ready because most of my make up was in a tissue by the end of the service. 

Doubt. Fear. Unknown. Worry. I used to think of those words as a bad thing... however, after today I am changing those words to also include trust, faith and obedience. Today was a message I needed to hear. It's ok for me to have doubts, worries, fears because those feelings also are bringing me closer to God -- having faith, hope, and obedience.

Let me back up for those of you who didn't go to LHE today -- when we walked in we were handed a sheet of paper. Shannon and I scrambled in to find a seat (note to self, don't be late again!!!!!) in the back.. The title of the message was Doubt - seemed fitting to title this blog the same. Merriam-Webster defines the word "doubt" as a fear, to lack confidence in. Why do we doubt God? We don't have any reason to lack confidence in Him, but yet we all have days (weeks, months, even years) we doubt Him.

One of the many things about LHE is we talk about practical, human things, like doubt. It's something we all have to deal with. As we walked into the theater today we were handed a piece of paper. We were asked to write something we are currently dealing with the issue of 'doubt' in our lives. Right now, we are dealing with the doubt of ever being able to stay pregnant again. It's been in our thoughts for the past year, more so the last 6 months. Row by row we walked forward, hammered our doubts, fears and worries to a cross and left them there. The crosses after 2 services were overflowing with doubts. Can you imagine the amount of healing we would have if we TALKED about our doubts??

We may not collectively want to talk about our short-comings, troubles, doubts, fears, and worries, but I am starting to think and believe that talking about those things will also bring healing, hope, faith and trust. You cross a bridge, you sit in a chair, you walk up stairs... did you ever stop to think what if that bridge tumbles, what if that chair gives out, what if I fall through those stairs? Probably not unless it's happened to you... I am learning that I need, and can FREELY, put my weight on God and He will carry me through the darkest days of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment